Improved mining efficiency and stakeholder value
Average per-blast savings estimated at US$55,000
Within the first year of mining, Golden Queen Mining Company implemented blast movement monitoring. Soledad Mountain Mine’s results indicate a significant improvement in recovered Tons, estimated at US$55,0001 average value per blast, through:
- Avoiding waste processing, and
- Mitigating the effects of ore movement in a narrow, vein-hosted gold/silver deposit
An example blast (shown right) demonstrates measured ore movement and potential savings at the East Pit.
Significant movement occurs within all blasts. Variation of ±50% from the mean horizontal movement is common and occurred in this blast.
- Measured horizontal movement2 ranged from 4.5 –10.5 ft (1.4 – 3.2 m) and vertical movement of up to 5.3 ft (1.6 m)
As a result of accurately accounting for blast movement within one blast in East Pit, Soledad Mountain Mine:
- Improved recovered value by an estimated US$69,1952,3
- Increased ore yield by 4,047 Tons (3,671 tonnes) and avoided 3% ore loss
* Average grade of ore polygons;
1. Golden Queen supplied data;
2. BMM System-measured blast movement;
3. Calculated at a gold price of US$1,350/oz.
“The BMT system provides an additional level of security for the project’s ore control operations. Through tracking the movement of ore zones, we ultimately bring more value to the project”
Sara Holden, Sr. Technical Geologist, Golden Queen Mining Company, LLC
In this blast, Soledad Mountain Mine recovered an additional 4,047 Tons (3,671 tonnes) and avoided 3% ore loss.