Less misclassification and ore loss
Pilbara Minerals saves A$335,416 in one blast
An example blast (shown right) demonstrates the value Pilbara Minerals generated from monitoring blast movement.
Significant movement occurs within all blasts. Variation of ±50% from the mean horizontal movement is common and occurred in this blast:
- Measured horizontal movement ranged from 4.1m – 7.4m in the top flitch and 6.7m – 11.3 m1 in the bottom flitch
- Vertical movement was up to 1.9 m1
As a result of accurately accounting for blast movement, Pilgangoora mine:
- Prevented 20% misclassification of 6,5171 tonnes
- Avoided 11% dilution—3,3641 tonnes of sub grade ore were diverted from MG and LG ROM, saving A$87,000 in milling costs
- Increased ore yield by 7%—recovered an additional 2,109 tonnes of lithium ore valued at A$335,4162
1. BMM System-measured blast movement, misclassification and dilution
2. Calculated at a Lithium price of A$792 p/tonne. (Spodumene Concentrate – SC6.0 specification)
This blast map indicates areas of loss, dilution and misclassification in the bottom flitch, where blast movement varied from 6 – 11m. For two flitches, Pilgangoora mine avoided misclassification of over 6,500 t, dilution of over 3,300 t and ore loss of 2,109 t.
Lost revenue would have exceeded A$335,416 if blast movement was not accounted for.